Welcome

Welcome

Thursday, August 2, 2012

What My Dog Has Taught Me

I have cats, too. What have they taught me…hmmm, not so much. Basically, they are the poster children for selfishness. They are like trying to push rope uphill or spitting into the wind. But dogs...I am constantly amazed about dogs…at least once you get past the stage of training them how to flush the toilet and put their dog dish in the dishwasher (OK, I can dream can’t I?) What is it that makes the kind of animal that craves your attention, always wags their tail and gets excited to see you and be with you, is there for you whenever you want, right by your side, gets protective of you and your property, and shows love to you in spite of how poorly you treat them at times. I think if someone made me eat off the floor and live in a two-foot square house, I’d be a little less than appreciative practically all the time! I’d be looking for the life that Snoopy has…flying Sopwith Camels against the Red Baron and leading all the birds on nature hikes would be my choice. Unconditional love. That is what most dogs are typified by. They don’t think “if he gives me a big dog house I will be nice to him.” They don’t say to themselves “if he gives me that dog food where they put all the bacon flavoring in it, I won’t bite him.” Dogs just naturally want to be by your side. I really doubt they consider themselves your pet. You are their “human.” You’ve all heard the cute and worn out saying Dog is God spelled backward. As trite as it may be, I think the analogy is a good one. God is Love…unconditional love. Once we get that, there honestly isn’t much else of importance to learn…except to model that in our interactions with one another. Dogs have figured that out…have you?

No comments:

Post a Comment