Welcome

Welcome

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Choose

We become the choices we make. I don’t believe we are made just one way, though I concede that we have a lot of preprogrammed and genetically determined things about our make up.  We are influenced a lot by our environment, too.  But when it comes right down to it, we are responsible for us! 

The neat thing about becoming the choices and decisions we make throughout life is that it always gives us the opportunity to change and become something different.  It doesn’t happen overnight, but it does happen (by the way, researchers claim habits usually form in a couple of months of repetition on average.)  I’ve often heard it said in another way: repetition creates habits.  If you work at it, you can change outcomes.  Often it is a choice as simple as changing the places you go and the friends that you spend time with.  Who do you spend time with?

And that all leads me to the fact that the single greatest change factor in life in my experience has been choosing to learn about and “hang out” with God.  Prayer is an often misunderstood activity.  We tend to look at it as a gigantic shopping list of things we need to ask God to do:  “Forgive this, give me this, make this happen.”  Instead, I think prayer really is a chance for communication and fellowship with God, and if you look at it in any other way, you are likely to be disappointed.  I’ve often wondered how God feels being communicated with only when we want something out of him.  Imagine only hearing from your kids when they want money for something!  I think prayer as fellowship changes our whole outlook on life, our behavior and our fellowship with God.  Can you wives or girlfriends imagine your husband or boyfriend wanting to just sit, hug you, and talk to you on the sofa?  In relationship counseling I hear that all the time:  He won’t spend time with me.  He doesn’t listen to me or talk to me! He doesn’t seem to care!”

Make the choice…both with God and with someone special in your life.  See what you become with those new choices.

1 comment:

  1. Yes yes yes.....a relationship is two way.....we listen we talk...it's no different with the Lord. Spending time with Him feeds a deep hunger I believe only He can fill and then we are better equipped to meet needs and have needs met...and be the people we want to be..thanks for sharing this

    ReplyDelete