Welcome

Welcome

Monday, June 16, 2014

My Advice For Fathers

When my kids were growing up I would try to be a good father and give them good advice.  You know how that goes.  Some of it probably stuck and some was not heeded…but I still have hope as they grow older that they might remember some of it and think on it, and perhaps find it valuable after all.  Most of it can be summed up in a few words, and in fact I’ve stated it to my kids bluntly many times this way as well so they might remember it.  Here is one example:

                     “Show up, give your very best, have faith, and keep your pants zipped.”  

I gave that as very simple advice for success at a job, but it applies equally well in a lot of other situations I think.  Pretty basic stuff.  I’ve seen so many people get ahead simply because they were there all the time when they were needed, and doing your very best can’t help but be noticed after a while.  Having faith in yourself and in a God that loves you is essential to your mental and emotional well-being in all situations.  And finally, I can’t tell you how many lives I’ve seen screwed up (pardon the choice of words) by illicit sexual encounters whether at work or in social life.  There’s just no place for that on the job, and you play with fire when you let it get control of you in your personal life as well.  It has a power all its own!


So, I offer this as my thought to you as this Father’s Day weekend comes to a close.  Give your advice to your kids.  You never know what they will remember, and you can make a huge difference in their lives.  After all, none of us are perfect and it may take a while to get some things right in our heads and follow through.  

Remember, even God’s children didn’t always listen, but he told them anyway.

1 comment:

  1. Being a loving & daily example for our children makes a huge difference. I really believe they absorb what we project - even step children. The best thing I, personally, did was marry a loving man. They witnessed real love & that can only be a good thing for everyone in the end.

    ReplyDelete