Welcome

Welcome

Monday, December 23, 2013

Army Bells

                       

 I have had the pleasure of ringing the bell for the Salvation Army now for several years and recommend it to anyone, if you are given the opportunity.  I can’t guarantee that it will be pleasant for you, especially if you have to stand in the snow when it is 15 degrees outside in front of WalMart.  Also, if you have a tendency to carpal tunnel syndrome you might bring an assistant to ring the bell…LOL

Founded in 1865 by once Methodist minister, William Booth, it’s military organiztional structure serves to emphasize its “Army of God” ministry.  Truly, they choose to be the hands and feet of God in serving the poor and needy.

One of the things I enjoy most about manning the bucket and ringing the bell at Christmas, is I get to meet so many people I know as they come in to shop.  It gives me a chance to wish them Merry Christmas since I’m not constrained by the store to only say “Happy Holidays.”  It also gives me a chance to see the kind of people who are motivated to care enough to help the Salvation Army do its work.  For so many years they have been in the community offering help with food and shelter, gas money, and many other things including their prison ministry.  They provide an essential and valuable service…so what kind of people are the ones who heed the call of my little bell and give to my little red bucket hanging from the tripod?

Givers:
            The older adults and seniors
            The young children
            The poorly dressed
            The lame and crippled
            The obviously low income
            The minorities

Those Who Rarely Give:
            Adults between 25 and 40
            Single Adults   
       (and they are who we are counting on to make Obamacare work??)

Those Who I Never See Give:
            Women who wear calf length high heel boots
            Men in slacks and a dress shirt

You probably think I’m joking and making this up, but I’m not.  Why is it that those apparently with the greater wherewithal to help are so unmotivated to do so?  Perhaps those who suffer the lack of things recognized the need more than those who have everything they want and have made themselves the center of their own lives? 

I’m sure there are exceptions to my observations over the years.  I hope you are one of the good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment