Welcome

Welcome

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Bah, Humbug!



Today falls in the category of the days you remember for the rest of your life. 

I have the great fortune, working as a firefighter, to be asked to deliver presents each year through Project Merry Christmas to those families that can’t afford Christmas.  I take my fire engine loaded with donated turkeys and dolls and bicycles and get to see the inside of tiny ramshackle homes you most likely would not want your family dog to have to live in.  I don’t do anything to pay for these presents so I don’t deserve a single bit of credit for what I do, yet I am the one who gets to see the happy smile of joy on a 7 year-old girl’s face when she gets a pink bicycle with ribbons flowing out of the handle grips.

Sure, there are houses I go to on the list that have 50 inch color TVs that are way bigger than anything I can afford.  But, I try to remember that I’m going there for the kids that often don’t have parents who manage their lives very well.  Isn’t that part of what Christmas is about--loving people without questioning, serving without thought of recompense, sacrificing even if those you sacrifice don’t value your sacrifice or your gift?


This Christmas, when all around you are trying to remind you not to call it Christmas and to neuter it’s meaning in an attempt at political correctness, don’t forget what it is really all about.  Jesus was born…only to give his life for all mankind’s salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment