Welcome

Welcome

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Road Of Life


I used to dream a lot when I was younger and for some reason now I don’t so much anymore.  Occasionally though, something will trigger a dream and I had an “old friend” return last night.  You see, I used to dream I could fly—just me by myself.  It was more like swimming and floating, but hey, it worked.  I also dreamed that I went to school without my pants, homework, or that I hadn’t been able to find a class at college all semester, and today when I found the class, it was the final exam and term paper due session.  

Who was the “old friend” that returned last night?  It was the dream that I’m on a difficult road and the road disappears under treacherous water and waves at the ocean’s edge.  It looks like I can barely fit my vehicle around a cliff base and get to the other side, and I’m doubtful and afraid.  I’m not even sure I can walk safely through that patch.

I suppose my dreams are typical of many of yours, but this one in particular came often and didn’t seem to be tied to anything in my ‘waking’ life.  Perhaps we all wonder about the road we are on and the bad spots we have to cross.  Will we make it?  Is the road going to collapse under us?  Will we be washed away?  What is on the other side around that cliffside waiting for us?

Life doesn’t provide a guarantee.  We all suffer pain and loss as a result of the free will decisions of others, and the laws of nature that operate freely in God’s design.  The one real guarantee we have is the promise that God made.  He is with us through all of life’s trials, and we are promised the joy of being with Him eternally in a perfect paradise through faith in Jesus’ death on the cross as an atonement for our failings. 


When I see that spot in the road disappearing under the waves, I know that Jesus is with me, and life is just around that cliffside “corner” that I must navigate.

1 comment:

  1. This is so true. I once dreamt that I was walking & leading 2 of my children down a hard overgrown & rough path. Suddenly the path stopped at a creek & there was a man standing there with his arm outstretched indicating a clear path on the other side of the creek. I woke up thinking I must have reached the correct path for me at that time.

    ReplyDelete