Welcome

Welcome

Thursday, February 13, 2014

What, Me Work?!?!?



I’m convinced that pretty much anything worthwhile to accomplish is challenging and perhaps usually not even much fun to do the work it takes to get there.

I remember when I was learning to play lead guitar and how bored I was practicing scales and learning licks to the point I was ready to give up.  I stuck to it, and after a long while I decided I would try my minimal progress against a backing track or playing with another musician.  The difference was enormous!  Suddenly, it was fun and I could see a purpose and progress from the difficult and uninteresting things I had been working through in my learning.

I’ve seen the same thing when someone finally makes it to the third year of their college programs.  Something changes.  Not only do they finally see the light at the end of the tunnel, but they start to see how what they have been learning fits into an enjoyable whole.  Consider the person who struggles daily in order to lose weight.  They measure calories and exercise a lot more...and they are miserable and frustrated.  Then one surprising day, they notice that bulge is a little smaller, and months later they realize they fit in a size 5 now.  What about the marriage that is struggling and you just don’t see a way forward, but as a last resort you talk to a counselor that gives you hope but tells you it will be work!  Work????  Wait a minute, I just “fall in love” it’s supposed to be easy and magical and perfect!!  Nope.  Long term love is intentional.  Decide to love and your actions bring the feeling along…of course you need to meet each other’s various needs in the process (I don’t want to make this sound simple, remember…not one of these examples is simple…or even always fun at first.)

Finally, I think faith is not simple.  I spent years learning the facts of my faith.  To be honest, it didn’t give me pleasure or joy to know them…but somewhere in that long struggle that I stuck with, I came to know my God in a personal way, and it has made all the difference.


So, no matter what your goal, don’t give up.  Live intentionally, as I’ve said before on this site.  It’s not always easy, it’s not always fun, but it is worth the effort!

1 comment: