Welcome

Welcome

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

And The Beat Goes On...


Loud music styles…why is it we take ALL our cues for church music now from the pop media and their music?…we are dumb sheep followers!  Somehow we feel that if we look, sound, and act exactly like the modern world, then we can fool everyone and get people inside the walls of the church building.  Are we going to dress up like Miley Cyrus next? 

I recently went to another concert of some well-known Christian recording artists in a church and was appalled at the fact that the music was so loud I needed ear plugs.  Before I put them in my ears, I noted that I could not understand the words that were being sung.  What makes the music any different from KISS or Def Leopard if you can’t hear the words in Christian songs???  This act I watched in the concert kept changing costumes and doing dance routines throughout the show…they had FOUR drummers pounding away…and yet kept saying “this is not about US!”  Come on, give me a break!

Jesus didn’t say…ooooh, I need to wear those long tassel robes when I talk to people or they might not listen.  He didn’t say I need to go out in sack cloth and ashes every day to show how pious I am.  That was the custom of the pop culture of the Judeans of the time.  He didn’t say…ooooh, I need to wear a Roman soldier uniform to get people’s attention.  That was the dominant ruler of the day.  No, he just relied on speaking words of truth (well, OK he had the handy ability to raise the dead and heal the sick too…and that trick with the loaves and fishes, wow!) 

Mind you, I’m not saying modern music styles are wrong to use.  I don’t care if you play rock, rap or acoustic blues in church, but you better have a clear Christian message with it.  And I still say if we can’t at least make the words of truth heard in our Christian songs without deafening everyone, we might as well not play ‘em.

No comments:

Post a Comment