Welcome

Welcome

Saturday, October 20, 2012

BVSF

  
I’ve worked for most of my life in law enforcement and firefighting/medical/rescue work.  One of the things we emphasize in the extreme is always being aware of what is going on around you and what your mission is at any given moment.  “Be Vigilant and Stay Focused” is one way I’ve heard it summarized.  Failing to do so can get you hurt, or can injure your crew or the people you are trying to help.  It is also a good guideline for life itself, no matter who you are or what you do.

There are always people out there who actively want to lead you astray into a lifestyle that is not productive or even may be dangerous, either in the now…or in the hereafter.  Often times it is because they feel guilty about who they are and how they live and want you to ratify their status as “OK” by becoming like them.  The old phrase “misery loves company” has some application here.  Recognizing those temptations and plotting a better path to the goal is constant battle.  Paul likens it to running a race and the focus that it takes to keep up the mission even as the runner approaches exhaustion before the finish line.

The Bible repeatedly encourages us all to be vigilant and stay focused.  If you let your guard down it is very easy to get off track in your life.  So much is tempting to the fleshly self-centered humans we are.  Sex, drugs, wealth, power.  Do I have the cool car?  Do I have the latest Iphone?  We measure our success as individuals often by these standards.  Am I wealthy enough?  Am I pretty enough?  Do people admire me enough? 

God admires me.  God loves me unconditionally just the way I am.  I need to be vigilant and stay focused on Him and not on those externals that would lead me astray.

Be Vigilant, Stay Focused!

No comments:

Post a Comment