Welcome

Welcome

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Organized Religion

If I were to start my own blog, I think I would begin it with a few comments on people who say they don’t follow organized religions or participate in them because religion has caused all the wars and killing throughout history.  I am really ticked off about that kind of thinking.  I had a friend who eventually gave up Christianity for that line of bull.  It is the most screwed up thinking I’ve ever seen intelligent people express.

Governments cause wars, people cause wars.  People are flawed and a few who fight, have done so in the past for religious values and at the prompting of religious leaders and their government.  The worst offender is the Muslim faith which actually has passages in its ‘bible’ that direct them to kill all non-believers.  I don’t see that in other organized religions…in fact I see the opposite.  My church doesn’t sponsor war, we support orphanages in Africa for kids abandoned and kids with aids, and kids who are starving and sick.  Other churches I’ve been involved with do the same in our own country and abroad.  Never have I heard any preacher exhort to fight and kill…even against Muslims who have targeted us.  If they did, then I would not support THAT CHURCH anymore.

Hitler was not a Christian, though he espoused his views as ‘Christian.’  He was a lunatic, not an organized Church movement.  His followers were political.  The Church in this world stood against him, though not strongly enough to do any good (especially in Germany itself.)  We fought him on a political level as a lunatic who was a mass murderer and not a respecter of political boundaries.  We did not fight him because our churches ordered us to go to war. 

These people in America who won’t participate in organized religion are just using this as an excuse not to live up to God’s standards and stand before other believers as a witness to God’s love.

Now, to that I have to add that in the Old Testament, God ordered the Jews to kill every man woman and child in various battles.  I don’t know how to answer that.  But that still doesn’t represent organized religion as it is today.  We live under a new covenant in Christianity.

No comments:

Post a Comment