Welcome

Welcome

Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Don't Pray?

How do you pray?  I am always amazed at the flowery and endless prayers by worship leaders and pastors.  I’m intimidated when anyone asks me to do spontaneous public prayer.  Is that what we are supposed to admire and emulate?  Why do we do it?  The disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray and He gave us a pretty simple prayer, why do we often insist on trying to out do Him?

Prayer is about a heart and mind connection.  It’s listening as much as speaking to God.  I don’t think it is for public consumption primarily, even though we do it that way so often.  The “trappings” of religiosity and meaningless repetition in prayer Jesus specifically spoke against.  Those who show off their religion in public received his censure.  In Matthew Jesus specifically admonishes us to “go in our room” and pray in secret rather than show off our piousness like the Pharisees did.

At night, sometimes for my prayers I just lay there wordless in bed sort of basking in God's love…feeling like I'm in arms wrapped around me that I fully trust and who I know belong to someone who has my back and loves me more than anything (kinda like a spouse, which I miss by the way.)

Is there a time for community prayer out loud?  Yes, I think there are specific times and situations where agreement among the believers in spoken prayer is right.  However, I don’t think that is the way we usually do it with proper thought before hand and for the right motives.

What do you think?  What has been your experience?



No comments:

Post a Comment