Welcome

Welcome

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Man Weds His Goldfish

The Supremes just handed down a decision that said “Federally” speaking, gay marriage is Okey Dokey.  I’m on the fringe here I suspect, but I’m not exactly advocating a position.   I’d just like to consider for a moment what we actually want to pass into criminal and civil law in our society.  I suspect you’ve all figured out by now, that we have way too many laws and regulations as it is.  As a police officer I quickly realized that I could stop almost anyone for a violation of something if I watched them for even a few minutes.  Do we really want to criminalize marriage between same sex individuals, minors, or men who have a passionate longing for their goldfish. 

Consider these headlines:  “Supreme Court affirms laws that prohibit coveting thy neighbor’s wife”…“Man sentenced to 20 years in prison for taking the Lord’s name in vain”…“Child found not guilty of charge of not honoring is mother and father” These aren’t laws, but certainly could be considered for that status just the same as marriage is.  I don’t hear anyone complaining that they aren’t laws in this country, though they might be in other countries where father’s have the right to commit honor killings of their offspring.

How much to you want to subject to the legal system what is really God’s right to judge?  You all know by now that I have a deep concern for those who struggle with homosexuality.  It is a difficult life and usually unasked for life, not only due to prejudicial treatment, but also because they statistically have higher rates of HIV disease, depression and even as married couples live on average about 20 years less than their hetero counterparts.  These are people that need our love and concern as much as anyone else, regardless of our disagreement with their choices.

Yet I remain divided in my thinking here.  After all, we have laws against murder and theft that I sure don’t want to see taken off the books.  Where should the line be drawn between necessary moral legislation and societal needs?  Who should make that judgment?


What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment