Welcome

Welcome

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Struck By Lightning

I hear that President Obama has changed the venue for his convention speech in the outdoor arena in Charlotte and is going indoors due to the predicted storm.  Perhaps he’s afraid he may be struck by lightning during his speech for lying.  If so, no politician of any party would ever venture outside in a storm. Shading the truth seems to be their stock and trade all too often.  I even heard today that there is a big controversy over the insertion of God and support for Israel and for their capitol city to be Jerusalem in the Democratic Platform, at this year’s convention.  The voice vote was clearly not showing a two-thirds majority in favor of the proposal, but it was inserted nonetheless.  But what is a platform to any political party?  Do they truly bind the president to its principles?  If we review the actions of our leaders, it is clear that it is often just jargon and media hype to convince people to vote for them.  History is full of that story (enough so that God saw fit to make it a commandment for all of us that we not lie, and that we live up to our commitments.)

I wonder if any of us are much different than our leaders. None of us is perfect. We wouldn’t need Jesus if we were.  Still, it makes life so much simpler if we are honest with others…and honest with ourselves.  I remember one friend who had come to grips with this fact.  He told me that life was so much simpler for him when he quit lying to everyone, because he didn’t have to remember and keep straight exactly which lie he told to whom any more.  And just as important, he doesn’t have to lie to himself any longer, either. What an amazing freedom there is in that!!

OK, so back to politics!  We also have a responsibility to hold our leaders truthful and accountable to their promises.  Actually, accountability and responsibility are important for all of us to show in every aspect of our daily lives.  I look at my son when he borrows $20 and says he’ll pay me back.  If he never does, or does so only one in every ten times, I am at fault for not holding him accountable and responsible for his promise to pay me back.  I do him and myself no favors by failing to do so (and it is very hard for me  to write this, because I do fail often in this…and many other things!)  With our leaders I think it works the same way, and I have that same obligation to vote in a manner that holds all our leaders accountable for their promises.

So, pay close attention in this national election season.  Evaluate what both parties’ candidates say against their past perfomance no matter what your party or candidate preference is at the moment.  Get involved and be informed.  Especially watch the debates.  Much is at stake in this country not only as to the religious freedoms we hold dear, but also as to the economic viability and moral health of all who love this nation.

No comments:

Post a Comment